10 Ways Your Family Can Make a Difference Right Now… From Your Home
List compiled by Rabbi Shari Shamah, JCC Jewish Family Specialist
1. Write to a Senior Friend – Ovation Communities is collecting cards for residents who are unable to have visitors and could use a friendly connection. Mail letters and cards to:
Rabbi Steve Adams
Ovation Chai Point
1400 N Prospect Ave
Milwaukee, WI 53202
2. Support Local – If you’re comfortable, order curbside dinner or dessert pick up. There are dozens of Milwaukee stores and restaurants that need our support. If you aren’t comfortable bringing in food, consider purchasing a gift card for later.
3. Write a Letter or Card to your Friends – Getting a real letter in the mail is guaranteed to put a smile on a friend’s face.
4. Help a Neighbor – Know someone older who lives alone? Volunteer to clean up their hard. Remind them to stay inside while you’re there.
5. Clean Your Closet – This is a great time to clean out your clothes! Start gathering old clothing or shoes that you don’t need. You can always save them and donate them when it’s safe to do so.
6. Take Steps Toward Sustainability – Start a garden to grow your own vegetables. It doesn’t have to be a huge garden. Perhaps just one or two pots with tomatoes are more your speed? Most of the garden centers have curbside pick up.
7. Collect & Donate Gently Used Books & Games – Many of the children served at the Jewish Community Pantry are at home with no access to online learning. If parents or kids can mark the age the book or game is intended for, our partners at Metcalfe Bridges can deliver! Contact Heidi Gould, Jewish Community Pantry Director for more information.
8. Make Cards for Essential Workers – You can drop them off at fire stations, police stations or hospitals without going inside.
9. Save Coins for Tzedakah – and think about where you want to donate it. There are so many organizations in need right now and your coins can make a difference. Click here to see how you can make a cool tzedakah box to get you inspired.
10. Attend #JCCKidShare 2020 – Join us on Thursday, May 7 at 7PM for our virtual fundraiser and see how you can help support the JCC provide much needed scholarships for kids. Click here to register for free and get the event link or browse the online auction and bid on something fun!