Updates: Water Park, Locker Rooms & more
JCC Members and Families,
On the heels of our beloved Milwaukee Brewers announcing the return of Major League Baseball to our city, the eyes of the community turn to the JCC for an update on our ongoing efforts. As we prepare for the July 6, 2020, opening of the Hy & Richard Smith JCC Water Park we wanted to provide clarity on that process, share with you the exciting announcement about the July 1,2020, reopening of the locker rooms at our Whitefish Bay facility, and update our visitors about the June 29, 2020, start of Youth Summer Programs at Fredonia (and how that might impact our parking lots during drop-off and pick-up!)
Please see below for details on each subject:
Hy & Richard Smith JCC Water Park – Opening July 6
The JCC Water Park in Mequon will open every day from 10:30 am – 6:30 pm, closing twice daily for cleaning, beginning July 6. JCC members will make advance reservations, online, to visit the JCC Water Park in two-hour increments. Reservations will be available on the JCC’s website, through our existing customer service management platform.
- Reservations can be made up to three days in advance and are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Capacity at the JCC Water Park will be limited to 100 total individuals at any time.
- Reservations are available in two-hour blocks; one reservation per family, per day. Sessions will be available each day from 10:30am-12:30pm, 1:30-3:30pm, and 4:30-6:30pm.
- All JCC members should reserve space before departing for the Water Park; staff will not be able to process reservations for members.
- Reservations will not roll over in the event of an unscheduled closure (weather, facility maintenance, cleaning). We encourage all members to sign up for the JCC Water Park text alert system:
- Visit Rainedout.net
- Search ‘JCC Water Park’
- Provide a phone number or e-mail to receive alerts on emergency/weather closures
- Reservations cannot be transferred to, or shared with, other members.
- To ensure the best possible member experience, there will be no guest passes offered or honored this season.
- To learn more about registering for the JCC Water Park – and other JCC programs & classes – you can do so on this website:
- On the top right corner – click on ‘My Account’
- Enter your login and password (if you don’t have an account, click “Do Not Have A Login”. You will need your membership account number, found on your most recent billing statement, to create an account)
- Click on ‘Program Registration’
- Click on ‘Aquatics’
- Register for a ‘Water Park Swim Block’; you must register each individual in your family who will be visiting the JCC Water Park during that block.
- JCC Members will be asked to confirm acceptance of the Member User Agreement with each registration, affirming their commitment to JCC Water Park operations and expectations – including physical distancing and community health best practices. All members will take a thermal temperature screening upon every visit to the Water Park; temperature readings over 100.4 degrees will prohibit entry for the day.
- Deck seating will be limited and spaced to ensure proper physical distancing. Chairs should not be moved during your visit, will not have seat cushions, and will be cleaned thoroughly between each use. Members are welcome to bring additional towels or outdoor cushions for their personal use.
- While we love curly fries, Cokes, and ice cream treats as much as anyone – the Snack Shack will remain closed this season and carry-in items are prohibited. We encourage all members to bring (non-glass) water containers to stay hydrated throughout their visit (and consider a stop at a local, JCC-supporting restaurant before or after your swim!)
- Swim tests will be available every day at 11:30-11:45, 1:45-2:00, 2:45-3:00, 4:45-5:00, and 5:45-6:00 (updated).
- All JCC Water Park locker rooms and restrooms will be single (family) use only; we recommend members arrive dressed and ready to swim and consider showering and changing at home after their visit.
- Outside lockers will be available for session use; keys will be sanitized and available in the lock at arrival, users will then deposit keys in a sanitation station at the conclusion of their visit.
- The JCC Water Park will not have any equipment (sport/game balls, swim gear, swim aid equipment) available for use or rental.
Whitefish Bay Locker Rooms – Opening July 1
All locker rooms will open for member access and use beginning Wednesday, July 1. Capacity for each locker room (Men’s General, Women’s General, Men’s Health Center, Women’s Health Center) will be limited to 20 members at any time. Staff will support capacity management, but patience will be appreciated.
- Physical distancing is strongly encouraged; alternating showers and select individual lockers may be removed from service to support physical distancing efforts.
- All onsite towel service will resume; health center laundry service will be available immediately upon reopening.
- Health Center specific details:
- Whirlpools will be opened in limited capacity – no more than two members in the whirlpool at a time, no longer than ten minutes per member per visit. Steam rooms and sauna will remain closed at the recommendation of the North Shore Health Department and the CDC.
- Food and beverage service will remain temporarily suspended.
- Certain personal amenity items may remain unavailable.
- Aquatics users will return to using the general or health center locker rooms and will no longer be required to use the family locker room for access or usage; reservations for lap lanes will continue.
- In line with recommendations from the North Shore Health Department and the CDC, overall capacity of the facility has now increased to 50%. We do not anticipate any change to our current operations as a result of this increase.
- Following those same recommendations, organized recreation leagues and activities will remain suspended. Hourly childcare will stay closed at this time.
- Group Fitness classes will also enjoy a capacity increase, up to 10 individuals per class. We will continue to monitor participation as we look to grow our suite of in-person, on-site programs – and continue to invest in our ‘Beyond a Building’ online offerings.
- In observance of Independence Day, the JCC will be open 8:00 am – 3:00 pm on July 4th with limited group fitness.
Youth Summer Programs in Fredonia – June 29
After two safe, engaging, and fun weeks at our Whitefish Bay campus, our Youth Summer Programs will make the bus ride north to our Fredonia space on Monday, June 29. Offered in four, two-week sessions, our youth and families should expect an incredible experience at the Albert & Ann Deshur JCC Rainbow Day Camp facilities. Registration remains open through the summer; please click here to learn more.
- All program participants will depart from, and return to, the Whitefish Bay Campus (unless not traveling by bus). We anticipate significant traffic during daily drop-off and pick-up times, and JCC members should expect increased parking lot activity during these times:
- Morning Departure (West Parking Lot and North Parking Lot) 8:15-8:45 am
- Afternoon Return (West Parking Lot and North Parking Lot) 4:30-5:00 pm
- The Youth Summer Program Leadership team will be hosting a preparatory webinar this evening, Thursday, June 25, to share updates and details before the program starts. Contact Shelby Kass to learn more.
- Additional details and expectations on drop-off and pick-up procedures will be delivered to registered families by the end of the week
Many additional JCC programs and services – from adult education to special needs & inclusion, arts & ideas experiences to family & adult enrichment programs – will continue to develop and grow through our “Beyond A Building” efforts. These programs are available at jccmilwaukee.org/beyondabuilding, live on our Facebook groups, in Zoom and YouTube channels, and via in-home programs.
Thank you, as always, for your ongoing support, patience, and participation in this process. We remain at our best when we work together, share openly, and partner with each other in shared values and vision.
President & Chief Executive Officer